Sunday

Acoustic Ecology

The first link for Acoustic Ecology isn't working for me so I'll respond to the second one. Soundscapes are something that we as filmmakers should focus on a lot more than we do. Sound is more important, in my opinion, than the visuals sometimes. It can provoke certain moods and feelings more innately than what we see. In the article, actually taking the time to sit back and listen can help give a lot of perspective. Atmosphere's song 'Sunshine' hits on this a little bit. After falling down the stairs and landing in the sunshine outside, he focuses on the sound he hears around him. His hangover fades away as he feels the warmth on his skin and focuses on the sounds of what's going on around him. I found the feeling that he described to be very relatable. Sometimes when I'm walking back to my apartment after a long day of classes, I take out my headphones and listen to what's going on around me. If I'm walking back at night, things are usually a lot more calm and peaceful, and I find that fairly enjoyable. We might be getting more noisy as a society, but you can still find the more subtle sounds if you look for them.
The thing I found most interesting about the article though was the bit about using sounds to frighten, using sounds to destroy. I had no idea that the army used heavy metal music to break down and scare insurgents before going in and rooting them out. This relates back to the point I made before though, sound is important, and sound is powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment