Sunday

Synesthesia and Cymatics

I had learned about synesthesia and cymatics last semester with Shannon, and I found it really interesting. With cymatics, I was really surprised to see all those sounds literally take the form of certain shapes and patterns. Seeing sound brought to life in that way really opened my eyes, and the TED talk was also really informative about the practical uses of cymatics. I had been a little bit more familiar with synesthesia though and I really like the idea of it. I managed to find a short film I saw a few years ago that explores synesthesia and also introduced me to the whole concept: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHnnGHgeyC0


It’s worth a watch, as it’s creative and well done. Seeing or feeling the world in a different way and then sharing it is something that I think I strive for as a filmmaker. This idea of smelling colors or hearing shapes is something to keep in mind and can make it easier for me to share what I’m feeling through the medium of film. Expressing ideas in different ways and through different techniques might reach a viewer on a completely different level than just straight out showing them or telling them the general idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment