Sunday

Crowdsourcing

My first experience with crowdsourcing was about 4 years ago on Crowdspring. I tried my best to create and design logos for a bunch of companies, but competition was fierce and sadly I was never chosen. Probably because my graphic design skills weren't very strong back then, but still. A couple years ago I found out about oDesk and tried my hand at video projects. I applied for many but it wasn't until a few months later that I finally got hired for a job: editing together phone commercials for a UK based cellphone company called TTfone. After the first one the contractor told me he liked my work and the quick turnaround and continued to send me work for a couple more months at $25 a video. It was great money as the editing wasn't particularly hard and didn't take too long. Ever since then I've been trying to find similar gigs but it seems like TTfone was a one off. Competition is crazy and there are many people out there in less fortunate countries that would be willing to work for a lot less. 

The side of crowdsourcing in these articles and videos is new to me and I've never really tried anything like it before. Connected looks like a very interesting film and after seeing the trailer, I actually really want to watch it. Also the short film that Tiffany Shlain crowdsourced from people all over the world was amazing and, the music probably added to this, super inspirational. I'm glad we're participating in the crowdsourced frame project; I can't wait to see the finished product. 

No comments:

Post a Comment